Thursday, February 02, 2017

Medical profession or business?


Did anyone see "Doug's Story" on My 600 lb
Iife TV show?  His wife who was very overweight, had had WLS, probably 8 years previously, was 60 to 70 lbs overweight. She said she'd been over 300 lbs before surgery but she seemed gaining it pretty much back, while still likely suffering the malnutrition and/or discomfort of surgery.  What a ripoff! I'm kind of not real pleased with the medical profession or should I say the medical business myself. We've been paying thousands of bucks over the years to take DH to doctors, for "diabetic checks". Not a one of them told him he could avoid problems later by going on a low fat, basically veggie diet, avoiding fast food completely and exercising 40 -60 minutes daily. It's in the books ...I read 19 books on the subject because heart disease runs in my family too. My mother who was bipolar was equally badly treated by medicine, went to doctors who never helped her. And this losing weight thing. Nowzaradan tells his patients to lose 50-100 lbs before they "qualify" for WLS, then he multilates their GI tract telling them the myth that it's going to help them lose weight but he's admitted that on TV that if they don't diet and exercise, the surgery won't work. He doesn't warn them it will do nothing to stop their cravings because the appetite centers are in the brain. But he's taking the money to the bank in barrels...not only doing the WLS on them but doing skin removal also. In 1994 DH suffered erectile dysfunction... the doctor asked him if he wanted medication (which is hard on the heart by the way). Tonight I read that erectile dysfunction is one of the first signs of clogged veins. He almost died last year after 5 surgeries, and getting septicemia and osteomyelitis from bad wound care. But heck, doctors made thousands of bucks off him. Not a one of them warned him. I did, after my research of 19 books and 5 years of magazine articles in Fitness Magazine..the research is out there but if he didn't hear it from his doctors why should he believe me?

When the lady who helps him with his baths (after 8 months in the hospital, he's not real mobile etc) asked me how old I am (I'm very mobile!) and was shocked that we are both 72 years old.  I've seen those around me go through h-ll when we have the technology to help them. No wonder I'm angry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been reading your work for a long time, Sue, and I appreciate all you do. I hope DH is doing better and is comfortable. I have developed a weird fascination with that show. TLC seems to repeat the same 5-6 shows all the tome which can give the casual viewer the impression that 600 lb. * people are common. They're not! And they usually have some serious health issue that the gastric bypass or sleeve will not resolve. When it fails, the patient gets the blame, and the doctor goes toddling off to the bank.

Sue Joan said...

Laura, thanks for kind comments!